Do people accuse you of being “too sensitive”? Do you avoid large crowds? Do you feel drained after spending time with certain people? Do you have a strong calling to help people but at the same time are afraid of them because you often feel overwhelmed whenever you do so? If so, you could be an empath.
Empaths are people who’s primary extra sensory perception (ESP) is clairsentience, also known as “clear feeling”. Everyone has their own special ESP, however, Empath’s tend to feel the auras and energies of others more than most.
The solar plexus chakra plays a big role in the life of an Empath. Other people’s energy will come to you through this chakra especially and you’ll feel it in your body when someone is sad, grieving, sick, the pain they experienced or are experiencing. Sometimes Empaths can experience blockages in their solar plexus chakra from taking on too much from other people. Symptoms such as sadness or physical sensations in your gut like having an upset stomach or stomach ache can occur if this chakra is blocked. Reiki is a great tool to help recognize and alleviate blockages and restore balance to the chakra system. You can also clear this chakra at home in meditation by imagining a bright yellow light in your core, eating yellow foods or even wearing or surrounding yourself with yellow items.
It’s important for Empathic people to become aware of their sensitives and embrace them. Becoming more aware can help you to protect yourself from people who are trying to take away from you without your permission. Energy vampires who don’t even know they are sucking the energy out of someone like you. Narcissists who trick you into helping them when they are only in it for themselves. Not everyone deserves a part of you so its important to set boundaries for yourself and to recognize when someone is draining you or pushing up against your boundaries.
Work on becoming more aware of your feelings around others and recognize if you get random feelings of sadness, anger or pain that almost always comes on suddenly and seemingly from out of nowhere. Recognizing will help you to understand that these aren’t your feelings, that its not “your stuff” and therefore will make it easier to let it go. Do not hold onto these feelings as they are not yours. Sometimes a simple prayer or a sweeping motion of your hands to “push” or “brush” away the energy in your field is enough. Cord cutting is another effective visualization method to use to rid yourself of anyone who is draining you. Visualizing a pink light around you before you go out to help people if you work in such a profession will do wonders. Ground yourself. Empaths who are “hands on” at work such as massage therapists, doctors or spa technicians benefit greatly from using these energetic protection techniques. Don’t let people mess with you. Assertiveness needs to be your best friend when working with others. Meditation and mindfulness is the key to helping build awareness so that you can set the proper boundaries for yourself.
You may never be able to not feel other people’s energies and that’s OK. Trying to shut off or ignore your special gifts is not the answer. You were blessed with these special powers for a reason and the point is to find a way to use them in a way that makes you feel alive and good about yourself. Learning more about how it works will help you to control your reactions and responses when faced with feelings of overwhelm. You’ll feel less exhausted at the end of the day.
Although almost everyone has empathic potential, some people experience it more than others which makes them what we call an “Empath”. These gifted individuals will often feel, express or experience the following:
- They are good listeners.
- Aversion to crowds.
- Aversion to eating meat or animal products.
- A strong dislike or upset when hearing, reading about or seeing violence whether in person, on the news or TV shows/movies.
- A strong upset or panic when hearing or reading negative tones of voice or words.
- Sensitivity to noise.
- Having strong “gut” feelings.
- Sensing when others are in pain.
- Physically being able to “feel” another person’s physical pain, even from hearing stories they tell you about the past.
- Getting goosebumps upon hearing or learning certain information.
- Anxiety and sometimes depression.
- A need for solitude or a feeling that you need to “recharge”. Sometimes feeling like you want to hide from the world.
- Needing reassurance from a trusted source that everything will be ok.
- Frequent feelings of overwhelm when in public.
I assure you that you are not alone. As more people discover their unique Empathetic gifts and sensitivities, we can work to better control them and to live our best lives. Here are some techniques you can use to feel better and protect yourself from overwhelm:
- Daily meditation.
- Spend more time in nature.
- Daily exercise.
- Grounding techniques such as: walking on grass or earth with your bare feet, eating root vegetables, imagine roots growing out of your feet or root chakra deep down into the earth, imagine your body or elbows sink a little bit into the earth while laying down to name a few.
- Imagining a pink light surrounding yourself before working with clients.
- Avoiding stimulants that would usually make anxiety worse such as caffeine.
- Setting healthy boundaries with others and learning to say “no” without feeling guilty.
- Test your abilities to learn how to recognize when you’re picking up someone else’s energy so that you can easily let it go.
- Burning sage around your home and your energetic field.
- Asking Archangel Michael or Jesus for protection.
- Cord cutting visualizations.
- Practise being more assertive.
So, what is the purpose of being an Empath anyway? These gifts must be more than just a nuisance, right? When we can learn to take the negativity and transmute it into positivity is when we are helping the collective. Love is the highest vibration of all and that frequency has the power to create change which is greatly needed in our world today. The world needs you to help create more positive changes. Doing your own inner work alone can be enough to create a positive ripple effect throughout the ethers.